Sunday 17 February 2013

DIY; Studded flag shorts

These shorts will be perfect for my annual trip to Florida this summer, I have already planned out an outfit for them. This at tutorial on how you make them with pictures, quite simple. The shorts I'm using are ones I cut up from jeans and previously bleached patterns onto. I'd like to say beforehand that if you're going to stud your shorts you have to keep in mind that it's going to be uncomfortable unless you line the inside or wear hot pants underneath. Also I haven't put them through the wash yet so I don't know how the seams will cope but if your worried use clear nail varnish on the edges! I have a feeling if you use a bandanna or other cloth fabric it will work better.


1.First start by cutting a piece of paper/card to the size of the area you wish to place your flag (keep in mind pocket, zip, and loophole.Next cut your fabric according to the outline of the paper, making sure you've left a bit extra at the bottom so the fabric sneaks below the roll of your shorts (if yours have them).
2.You can use pins to hold down the fabric to stop it from gathering
3.Time to sew! Make sure to keep the fabric stretched so that it doesn't gather. I chose to use red thread throughout.
4.Choose studs and place them evenly on your chosen area to see if you have enough/if you like it. I chose stars to match the flag.
5.I'v had this nifty toy since I was lil' it works to place the studs but you can use a flat head screw driver to bend the prongs
6.There you have it! I also placed a couple of studs on the front loopholes.



2 comments: