Monday 3 December 2012

On the lucky day of Christmas: Reminiscing

When I was younger like most people I found Christmas more an exciting event mostly as I found there was more of a build up to Christmas. I used to be a Catholic so we'd go to church on the night of Christmas eve which was such fun as all the children got to sit around the altar for the service while Christmas songs were sang, we'd then have a peek in the churches manger and the priest would give us all a mince pie or sausage roll on our way out. When I then got home I would leave out some whiskey, carrot, and a mince pie for father Christmas and go to bed feeling all jittery inside. When I woke up there would be a pillow case at the end of my bed full of Santa's prezzies so I'd open them before flying down the stairs.
What beheld in front of me was our Christmas tree swamped with presents of all sizes while various decorations lit up my living room. I would have to wake for everyone to get up which was usually just my sister as she was so lazy! Then we would all sit around the Christmas tree while with mum constantly handing us presents. This was one of the best times for me as a kid as I loved getting toys and would spend the days beforehand endlessly circling items in the Argos catalogue. One time my brother opened a present of boots and was totally confused until mum shouted that they were mien! Haha Anyway the next big thing was the Christmas dinner back then we still had everyone around and it was a bit easier since are house was more spacious yet we'd find tables from the community hall and sit around in the living room. 
I loved Christmas and I still do perhaps not as much as i recognise the stress associated with it more  and 'family arguments' do occur as we can easily get in each others way but all in all I do enjoy it and try my hardest to make it special :)
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment